The official blog of the 2012 International Convention of the Corvair Society of America, which took place in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, July 25-28, 2012. Presented by the member clubs of the Northeast Corvair Council.


Scroll down to see the latest posts, and check the Blog Archive (at the lower portion of the right-hand column) to look up specific posts.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Old Car, Young Owner

This 1960 Corvair 700 sedan will be at the Sturbridge convention, and it will be approaching its 53rd birthday at that time.


It’s a relatively early production car, built in the summer of 1959. It’s owner, on the other hand, is a relatively late production, born several years after the last Corvair came off the assembly line.

The car belongs to CORSA Eastern Division Director Jason Cesana, who reports that he never intended to buy such a car but now that he owns one he loves it.

Jason tells us that "I was looking for a late model coupe. I never really liked the style on the earlies and wanted the sportier looking late model. I put down a deposit on a bad-looking ‘69 but it needed everything right away. The car ran but smoked, the paint was gone, and the interior was hardly there. The owner wanted $1000 for it.

"I went home and was looking on Craigslist and lo and behold there was a new ad. I called the guy up and in a week I was the proud owner of the ‘60.

"I was new to the hobby so I didn't realize what I really had. It was not until after I did some research that I realized that this car was an "early" early!

"Now my opinion on earlies versus lates has sort of switched camps!"

Come to Sturbridge this July to see this old Corvair and to meet its young owner.